Thursday, January 26, 2012

Finally, a family of 4!

Sometime around 7AM, family started pouring in and our "Little Man" finally made it to the hospital. He came dressed in his favorite attire (I had no doubt he would) that included a cowboy hat that has been to Hell and back, jeans and his cowboy boots. I really wasn't sure how he would act, seeing me in a hospital bed with all those wires coming from my arms. He wasn't sure what to think at first, but after we explained to him that I wasn't hurt and that "Sister" would be here soon, he was fine! This is picture Sunny texted me before they left the house! He was SO ready to see her!
Around 8AM, the anesthesiologist came in and started all his paper work. Dr. Matthews is a client and friend of Michael's and had promised us months ago that he would be there when I had the baby. To be honest, I appreciated the gesture, but I didn't expect him to take time out of his busy day to make sure he was there. When he walked in the room, I was thrilled and completely honored, to say the least! I knew at this point, I was in great hands! He started spilling his guts to me about the risks involved with a c-section. Risks of blood transfusions. Risks of having to be put completely under. Risks about EVERYTHING! I didn't remember doing this the first time around, so I was a little a lot worried! It seems like I signed paperwork, pretty much signing my life away if it came to that, for forever! At this point, my plans were out the window. I just wanted to meet my Baby Girl...quickly!

In just a few minutes I had met with everyone who would be attending my surgery. Several of them I requested. One of the nurses, whose name is Brooke, has been a friend of mine for a long time and I asked her to be there with me. She was, and I was once again thrilled! Two other ladies, one being a scrub-tech and another being from the nursery, were friends of my Mom's from High School. We had no idea they would be there, but I was happy they would. I didn't know them from Adam, but the fact that my Mom knew them, seemed to make me more at ease. It turned out that, in a round-a-bout way, I knew every single person (with the exception of an Anesthesia student) that attended the birth of our Baby Girl! What a blessing! They got everything ready to go and down the hall to the operating room we went.

Now, you remember from the last post that my fear of needles is unimaginable and the next step was another of my fears coming to life...the spinal block. If you've ever had one of these, you know that it's a tad bit freeky. They stick a needle in your back with medicine in it that makes you able to feel nothing from your chest down. FREEKY, to say the least! Dr. Matthews talked to me the entire time he was doing the spinal. He was seriously the sweetest, most caring man I have ever dealt with...other than my husband, of course. Even though I knew all the risks involved, I still felt at ease with the situation.

When the spinal was done, they laid me on the table, let Michael in the room and started the procedure. When I had Gage, I can remember being scared completely to death. I didn't speak a word. Didn't move my arms. Nothing. This time was a different story. I feel sure they were probably wishing I would stop talking so that they could concentrate ;) I just had so much I wanted to say and so many question I needed the answers to. So, I asked them! Within minutes, I remember hearing one of the nurses say, "there she is" and I knew it wouldn't be long before I would hear her precious little cry! I couldn't wait!
When they finally got her completely out, I heard the most beautiful sound in the world. The sound of my Baby Girl!! Michael got up to go meet her and take pictures and I just laid there and listened. It seemed like she cried forever, way longer than I remembered Gage crying. It was music to my ears!

They got her cleaned up a little and Michael brought her to me! She was absolutely beautiful. She had chubby little cheeks, a tiny pug nose just like mine, and the sweetest face ever! She looked exactly like Gage did when he was born...exactly! I knew then, that my life would never be the same. Somehow, God had blessed me with 2 perfect children that I know surely didn't deserve! I can't tell you how complete I felt that day! At that point, we were officially a family of 4! What more could I want? My perfect plan happened just the way I had hoped it would...perfectly!
Dr. Rutledge finished sewing me up and they wheeled me off the recovery. I think I was in recovery for about an hour or so. After they got Emerson weighed, measured and cleaned up, they brought her to me. She weighed 8lbs 12oz (1oz more than her Big Brother) and she measured 19 1/2 inches. She was the most cuddly little thing ever and I couldn't get enough of her! Here is Gage seeing her for the first time through the nursery window! The look on his face is priceless and something I will cherish forever!
When my time in recovery was over, we requested that we have a few minutes with her and Gage alone. I wanted the day to be as special to him as it was for us. They brought him in the room to meet her and you could tell he loved her already. He was SO sweet to her and must have hugged and kissed her a million times! He knew just how to melt his Momma's heart!
After we let Gage see her for a few minutes the rest of the family came in to meet our new bundle of Joy! Emerson was one loved little girl that day!

 I will post about our next few days later. It's time for me to go rock my babies!

1 comment:

Julie said...

yippee for a baby girl! i had a boy Aug 4th 2010 and I had a baby girl August 31st 2011 and I am due to expect my third in the beginning of Sept 2012! i hope nursing and everything goes well for you!